Before you enroll: How to enroll in our Medicare health plan
To enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage (HMO) or Medicare Plus (Cost) plan, you must meet the Medicare eligibility requirements below.
- You must be entitled to Medicare Part A and enrolled in Part B, including persons under age 65 entitled on the basis of Social Security disability. Note: If you reside in Maryland, Virginia, or Washington, D.C., and do not qualify for free Part A coverage, you are still eligible for a Kaiser Permanente plan if you are enrolled in Part B only.
- You must permanently reside in the Kaiser Permanente service area. See your area’s Summary of Benefits, which you can download from the Plans & rates page, to find out if your ZIP code is part of the service area. Or, call us and we can tell you if our plan is available where you live.
- If you have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD), you are not eligible to enroll unless one of the following is true:
- You are currently a Kaiser Permanente member and you developed ESRD while you were a member (in the same region in which you wish to enroll).
- You’ve had a successful kidney transplant that restored your kidney function and you no longer require dialysis.
- You were affected by the nonrenewal of a Medicare Advantage plan after December 31, 1998, and you have not yet used your 1-time enrollment exception to enroll in a Medicare health plan.
There are no medical screenings and your health status, with the exception of ESRD, does not affect your Medicare eligibility.
Learn more about Medicare eligibility for Medicare Parts A and B.
There are different election periods, determined by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), in which an individual may be eligible to enroll in a Medicare health plan. Learn more about official Medicare election periods and enrollment dates, including enrolling in one of our 2015 5-Star Medicare health plans.*
There are several reasons that may qualify you to enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan outside of the Annual Enrollment Period:
- You can enroll now in our Kaiser Permanente Senior Advantage (HMO) or Medicare Plus (Cost) plan if you recently became eligible for Medicare (such as by turning 65) or you qualify under another special circumstance.
- You can enroll in our 5-star rated 2015 Medicare health plan from December 8, 2014 to November 30, 2015, in California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Maryland, Virginia, Washington, and Washington, D.C., as long as you meet all Medicare health plan enrollment requirements.*
- If your group employer coverage is terminating, you may be eligible to enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan now.
To get more information on how you may be able to enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan outside of the Annual Enrollment Period, please call 1-866-973-4588 (toll free) or TTY 711 to speak with a licensed sales specialist.
- You can enroll in our 5-star rated 2015 Medicare health plan from December 8, 2014 through November 30, 2015, in California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maryland, Oregon, Virginia, Washington, and Washington, D.C., as long as you meet all Medicare health plan enrollment requirements.*
To enroll in a Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plan, you’ll need the following:
- Your Medicare card or letter from Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board
- Your current health plan information, including group or Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) ID numbers (if you have Medicaid or your state helps pay for your Medicare premiums)
- Any other verification that shows you are entitled to Medicare Part A and enrolled in Medicare Part B
* Medicare evaluates plans based on a 5-star rating system. Star Ratings are calculated each year and may change from one year to the next. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Health Plan Management System, Plan Rating 2015. Kaiser Permanente contract #H0524, #H0630, #H1170, #H1230, #H2150, #H9003.
To learn more about Kaiser Permanente Medicare health plans and services,
(toll free) (TTY 711)
8 a.m. to 8 p.m.,
7 days a week, to:
Schedule a personal appointment with a local sales specialist
RSVP online for a Medicare Straight-Talk Seminar in your neighborhood
Have us call you
KP members turning 65 and over:
Keep a good thing going.